Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
NOTE: Knowledge in areas listed is required to be at minimum at the entry level,
• Knowledge of musical theory, and music instruction methods.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of music therapy.
• Knowledge of the various appropriate music therapy activities used for the therapeutic treatment of those with mental and/or physical disabilities.
• Knowledge of the equipment used in music therapy, incorporating various modalities.
• Knowledge of the techniques of directing band, orchestra, and other instrumental ensembles.
• Ability to sight read music and play a musical instrument proficiently.
• Ability to compose simple musical arrangements.
• Ability to direct vocal and instrumental ensembles.
• Knowledge of musical program planning.
• Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of a therapeutic music program, make changes as needed, and collect and organize data.
• Ability to work with other staff on an interdisciplinary treatment team.
• Ability to get along well with, gain the cooperation of and provide encouragement to residents.
• Ability to work with professional and technical personnel in the area of the work performed.
• Experience with electronic medical records and Microsoft Office programs.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others
• Ability to maintain professional composure while multitasking on a daily basis.
• Ability to advise and provide interpretation regarding the application of policies, procedures and standards to specific situations.
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with a diverse audience and modalities.
Training and Experience:
Board Certified Music Therapist -preferred
One year of experience working with a chronically mentally ill and/or senior population is highly preferred.